Monday, December 10, 2012

My Revision Plan...

I have multiple WIPs at any given moment - it's the curse of an uber creative person.

When I used to revise, it was an overwhelming task because I would change something which would mean something prior to that part in the story would need changed as well...then I would spend an hour trying to find that one specific part I was looking for.

Now I draw myself a map, chapter by chapter. I make a long list or sometimes a grid and as I revise and rewrite I fill in the list or grid with details that are in specific chapters.

Example:
Chapter 1
• skips school, p 5
• finds note from boy, p 12
• remembers dream, p 16
• tells off teacher, p 18
• backstory abt step dad, p 21

As I revise each chapter, I keep a detailed list. This way, when I need to change something about her relationship with her step dad I know that, in order to change backstory to make it match, I need to go to p. 21.

Now, of course, you can't have EVERYTHING on the list but hopefully you will jot down enough of the big details that it will still be helpful in going back to find earlier parts.

I also keep notes in the margin of upcoming parts I will need to adjust based on something I rewrite in earlier chapters.

I hope this inspires you to create your own revision solution. Be sure to share your secret to keeping everything straight in the comments below.

Happy revisions!
Peace.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment